CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Being a Good Friend







Photo Credit








I have been beyond blessed by some wonderful friendships in my life. I truly have. But I often wonder if I've been a blessing to them in return.

What makes a great friendship? What's the secret to long-lasting relationships? I think it's pretty simple, really. I think it's about being the kind of person whom the other cannot live without. The greatest friendships in my life consist of selfless people who are good listeners, love to laugh and who make me better just being around them.

Friends are honest with you... even if it's not what you want to hear.
Friends are supportive... they cheer you on to victory and success.
Friends are trustworthy... you can trust them with your secrets and dreams.
Friends have seen you at your worst... and choose to love you anyway.
Friends are drawn to WHO you are... not what you have.
Friends are loyal... they've always got your back.
Friends are filled with grace... they are slow to anger and quick to forgive.
Friends are compassionate... humbly offering their tender heart.
Friends are good listeners... they don't just hear, they listen with their eyes and hearts as well as with their ears.
Friends are selfless... sacrificing their desires for yours.
Friends are generous... giving much and expecting little.
Friends are inspirational... they inspire you to want to be a better person.

I am richly blessed by the friendships I've made along this life's journey. I've been challenged by them, encouraged by them and loved deeply by some of this planets greatest people!

I read recently about "refrigerator rights" friends. These are friends who can walk into your home and help themselves to anything in your refrigerator. Why? Because they are THAT comfortable in your home. THAT comfortable with just being themselves when they are with you. THAT comfortable in their relationship with you. Authentic friends with rights to your life.

Do you have friends like this?

In John 15:13, Jesus is teaching His disciples, His FRIENDS, about how to love each other. He said, "I command you to love each other in the same way I love you. And here is how to measure it - the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends."

Jesus was, indeed, the greatest example of a true friend.

Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend."

We are called to make each other better; to build each other up.

Ecclesiasties 4:9-10 says, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

We were made to be in community with others. There is strength in numbers. We need each one another... we weren't meant to do this alone.

It's true - I have been blessed by great friendships, but I pray that I may never stop being the kind of person others long to be around. I pray that I would always seek for ways I can be the best friend possible to those God has entrusted me with.

One of life's greatest joys is being able to have and be a friend! Don't underestimate the value of these special relationships! We have this one life to get it right. Will we be the kind of friend Jesus would be proud of?

Finding JOY in the JOurneY,

1 comments:

Unknown

Thank-you Wendy. I need that today, good friend is hard to get but God put good friend around me most time of need.