CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Good Listener.... (what did you say?)

Are you a good listener?


I think about this a lot.


As a leader, my prayer is that I will always be a good listener. Good leaders are good listeners.


I have struggled with this from time to time. Sometimes, when I am in a conversation with someone, I am also thinking about what I'm going to say next. This isn't a quality of a good listener.


A mentor/teacher/boss/friend once gave me some great advice! He said, the art of listening is making sure that the person with whom your communicating with KNOWS that they have been heard. Here is what he will do. When he is in a deep conversation with you about something, he will often say, "So, Wendy, what I'm hearing you say is..." This tells me he is listening. It also tells me that he values what I have to say and is interested in making sure I know I am heard!

This was very eye-opening for me.

I now find myself saying that when I'm in a conversation with someone, especially someone with whom I'm in leadership over... "So, what I'm hearing you say is..." This makes people feel valued, heard and important.


I recently read a quote that says...


"If God had wanted us to talk more than listen, He would have given us two mouths rather than two ears." Ken Blanchard

How are your listening skills?

1 comments:

Anonymous

Wendy- that is a technique also taught in Social Work/Counseling- to redirect and reframe what the patient/client is saying... you are right! Its good- but I need to use it more at home (not just at work!) too! --Jen L