CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Postage Stamp Increase

I was in our local post office yesterday morning and I was witness to something that made me very sad. I had to get in line to pick something up behind the counter and I was behind a man who, obviously, wasn't having a very good day. I could tell that he was very impatient during his wait in line... very fidgety and seemingly agitated. When he got up to the counter he asked for a roll of stamps. Because the price of stamps will be increased on May 14 to 41 cents, he was being sold a roll of "Forever" stamps (which are good for the price of a 39 cents stamps now and good for the price of a 41 cents stamp in less than a month). OK - "duh", I thought to myself, "makes sense... "glad they made it easier than having to purchase 1 and 2 cent stamps for all of my "outdated" stamps that I purchase between now and then." Well - it was obvious that this gentleman did not agree and seemed very irritated when his balance due was $41.00. I've heard of people going "postal" but COME ON! This guy began yelling at the post office worker. That's right - he was YELLING. He was rambling on about "just another way that the government sucks us dry!"

First thought... "Dude, it's a postage stamp, it's only 2 cents!" Second thought... "I feel really sorry for the post office worker." Third thought... "We are SUCH a blessed nation, how dare we complain about the price increase of a postage stamp!"

When it was my turn to be waited on (at the station next to my irritated friend) I looked at the lady behind the counter and she looked at me and said, "We get that all the time! Like we have control over the price increase!" It was at that time I got very sad. Sad that people treat other people that way... sad that we live in such a blessed country and we don't even realize how good we have it. It was at that moment that I stopped to pray for that man and for the entire country - - for our eyes to be open to all of the wonderful things God has blessed us with in this life that we take for granted every day. I believe God used a simple thing, like a price increase of a postage stamp, to stop me in my tracks and cause me to be thankful.

Today... take time to be thankful!

1 comments:

Anonymous

Amen, Sister!
Taking the time to be thankful today that I even had the opportunity to rise and breathe a fresh, crisp spring morning breath... another day to marvel at the things God has provided to me, to us ~ with thanks and gratitude, instead of distain and drudgery. Having the opporunity to travel on a mission trip a year & a half ago to Eastern Europe, most people in our great nation have no idea how rich we truly are ~ by the shear enormity of our freedoms ~ even in a $.02 stamp increase.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have a great weekend ~ with thanksgiving!
Love ya!