CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 11, 2007

Date Night

So, Trevor was in Mexico all of last week for work. It was one of those weeks where anything that could have gone wrong (home-wise) DID go wrong. Nothing serious - - just those little things that make you SO appreciate being a part of a 2-parent household! :)

On Friday, I decided that a date night was WAY overdue - so I planned for a sitter and we declared our sacred night out as this past Saturday! Did I mention that it's been a while since we had a REAL date night? I mean, just Trevor and I. No friends, no dog, no kids... all alone in the car. A real date night. They are really few and far between these days, so we hold onto them when we can.

Well - the sitter I had originally lined up couldn't make it because she had a lot of family coming in and was going to busy do family stuff. So - I made an emergency call from my cell phone in my car on Saturday afternoon to my niece, Cortney. She could do it! I was so happy! Well - - until I got off the phone. Chloe had overheard me telling Cortney that we wanted to get away for a night for dinner and possible a movie or shopping or something. Well - - that did not make Chloe happy. She immediately began asking me why we had to go away and leave her that night. Her exact words were, "You and daddy ALWAYS go out on date nights without me!!!" WHAT?!?! Did this little girl know something I didn't? Was I missing something? My first instinct was to tell her, "FINE! We won't go!" But, really, who's the boss here? So - I simply told her, "Chloe, that is not true. Your daddy and I very rarely get a chance to go out together for date and we are going. I am sorry if that makes you upset, but we are going to go out because God wants Mommy's and daddy's to spend time together." (Good one, I thought to myself - she cannot possible argue with what God wants!) She still wasn't happy - but that was okay. She and Cortney had a wonderful time together and I'm sure she didn't think twice about us all night.

What's more important here is that we are teaching her that we love one another and care about each other in our family and we are taking care of our relationships. I pray this is the lesson she takes away from it and not that mommy and daddy just wanted time away from her. (Well - - okay, maybe some of that was true after the week I had). :)

Have you had a date night this week with YOUR spouse? Can I recommend this place? The Carolina Crab Cakes rule! :)

1 comments:

Unknown

Well, you two don't mess around. J Alex's? Excellent choice!