CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Board of Directors

I heard recently that everyone should have themselves a "Board of Directors". You know what I'm talking about? People in your life that advise you, support you, guide you, protect and defend you. People that you have given the authority to speak truth into your life - - even when it hurts.

I remember when I was in high school... I had this great friend; her name was Lena. Lena was one of those "really honest" people that would tell you what she wanted to tell you - not necessarily what you wanted to hear. You know the ones I'm talking about, right? Lena was famous for her honesty. I could ask her, "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" and sometimes she would reply, "Yes. Yes, Wendy, they do." WHAT? Are you kidding me? I wasn't expecting that. But Lena taught me something. She would always say, "I love you enough to be honest with you." Okay - so maybe at age 16 I really wanted her to tell me that my butt looked great in those jeans, but it's not what I NEEDED to hear. Years late, I'm leaning the lessons that my friend taught me about how to build myself a "Board of Directors".

I have GREAT friends! No kidding! I am one of the most blessed people on the planet earth. I have had some of my closest friends for more than 20 years and then there are those of my closest whom I've only known for a couple years. Each one of them blesses me beyond words! I have one friend who is so encouraging I don't know what I'd do without her. She's my rock. She's one of those friends who always tries to get me to see the other view point and turns everything into a postive. She's amazing. I have another friend who is constantly asking me, "Are you sure you want to do that?" This friend protects me and keeps me focused. I have yet another friend who always has my back. She's there whenever I need her. She's very self-less and I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that she'd be the first one to my rescue in my time of need.

All of these people add something different to my life and they are all people that I love and respect more than they will ever know. But more than that, I have give them authority to speak truth to me. I have allowed myself to be transparent with them and I depend on them to hold me accountable. They are my Board of Directors - they are my inner core.

I read recently that every Christ-follower needs a cabinet, a board of directors, an inner circle of people who breathe love and truth into their lives daily. It goes on to list important questions to ask yourself about your selection of board members:

Who’s giving you the go-ahead?
Who speaks encouragement into your life?
Who’s in your life positioning you for progress?
Who’s in your life bringing balance to it?
Who drags you kicking and screaming to important tasks?
Who’s steady in your life?
Who will give up anything for you?
Who’s got your back?

This is what I will be focusing on over the next several weeks. Developing my Board of Directors. Bottom line is - we all want to be loved and accepted and we all want to be part of something bigger than ourselves. I believe the first step is paying close attention to the people who will go the journey with you and the ones who will stay on the journey with you. Through thick and thin. The people who will support and encourage you and maybe even slap you upside the face once or twice asking the question, "What were you thinking?"

Do you have a Board of Directors? Who speaks love and truth into your life? Who holds you accountable? I encourage you to get some members together. Life was not meant to go it alone!

0 comments: