CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thank You's















My parents raised me right. From a VERY young age I was taught to write Thank You cards to friends and relatives. I had to send them for birthday presents, Christmas presents, graduation gifts... just about any time someone gave me anything at all. I'm actually quite surprised I didn't send Thank You cards for people who sent me Thank You cards.

Honestly, though, what an amazing skill to teach your children!

I've always been very partial to card-sending and I have this strict lesson on Thank You card writing that my parents instilled in me early on to thank for it! I've even passed along my love of card-sending and Thank You card writing to my daughter. In fact, at this very moment she is playing the role of a pen-pal to my mother, her grandma, who only lives about 7 miles or so away from us! What a great experience it's been for her. And she LOVES getting letters and cards in return from her beloved grandma! It's been a very fun last couple months for her as she looks so forward to their tender exchange.

I had a conversation recently with someone about the very subject of Thank You card sending. This person has been the recipient of many of my cards over the years and counted each and every one of them as a blessing in her life. Unbeknownst to me, she had been saving them all the years of friendship and they each had special meaning to her. I had no idea that this simple act was making such a big impact on her life. But it was obvious that it has!

I thought I was the only one who kept cards from others over the years. I have two very LARGE boxes of thank you notes, sympathy cards, thinking of you notes and just because letters in my closet. My dear husband doesn't share my adoration for these priceless memories, but because my life was shaped by MANY of the loving words that adorn these special pieces of paper... I keep every single one of them. Just like my friend.

See...















To me, there is just something about a card from a friend that makes my day. It says to me:

they care about me
they're thinking about me
they took time out of their busy life for me
they appreciate me

In this modern day technological-frenzy world we live in, there's just something special about getting a hand written note from someone that you love. Come one now - anyone can send a text or an email... but a hand written note says "I care".

I am thankful to my parents for instilling such a selfless lesson of love in me. I consider card-sending just another way I can serve others and I will continue the tradition proudly. For those who've blessed my life with cards, letters and notes... THANK YOU. I've been truly blessed!

Col. 2:7, "...let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all He has done."

Finding JOY in the JOurneY,

0 comments: