CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 26, 2007

When God Goes Silent!

I don't know how many other people struggle with this same thing, but I know I have had a hard time lately always hearing from God. I know in my heart that there are many reasons I don't always hear what God is telling me. For instance.. all the noise in our lives keeps us to hearing from God... the media, the busyness, the static, the gadgets, the music.. all of the demands of our hectic lives. And then there are some times when we just don't listen. Have you ever done this? Asked God repeatedly to "Show you a sign" or "Give you an answer" to a situation and you just don't seem to get a clear answer? I have always told God that I'm not very good with discernment. I mean, it's just not one of my God-given gifts. So I ask for a big, bold, blinking sign. You know - the big OPEN signs that are neon pink and flashing? THAT'S what I need, God! And yet sometimes, I believe He's prepared to answer, yet I won't KEEP QUIET or BE STILL long enough to let Him do the talking and truly listen.

So - I've been thinking a lot about this lately and read something yesterday that really hit home for me. It was this:

"It is possible that when God goes silent... it's because He's up to something!"

This illustration was given in a sermon that I was watching the other day online...

You have a two-year-old who is always breaking things around the house. He spends most every day running through the house screaming at the top of his lungs and breaking things whenever and wherever he can. But do you ever notice - it's when your two-year-old is "silent" that you actually have reason to be alarmed that it's because he's "up to something".

We need to think about this the next time God goes silent in our lives... just maybe it's because He's "up to something"... Get ready!

1 comments:

Anonymous

I agree with you. This world keeps us busy, even when we spend a lot of time in ministry. So we must intentionally, on purpose, spend quiet time in search of God's voice. Listen for Him by delving into His word and knowing what He does and who He is.

You know, God was silent for 400 years and when He did speak again, that was when Jesus, our Lord and Savior, was conceived. Talk about being "up to something BIG!"