CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Words We Say















So... I came across the following piece of scripture the other morning during my quiet time:

Luke 6:45, "... whatever is in your heart determines what you say."

I've read that verse at least 50 times before. I've heard it referenced in sermons. I've studied the book of Luke. But for some reason... on this particular day... Luke 6:45 literally leaped off the page at me. But, then again, God has a way of doing that, doesn't He?

I will never forget the incident that happened last summer. It was a bright and sunny day. Chloe and I were just headed back home from a great day of swimming. {Now, let me first preface this story with a little fact about me I'm not proud of... I have a tendency toward road rage. I know, I know, it's not the most flattering of characteristics - but some drivers... well... they don't always make it easy for me when trying to show the love of Christ.} We were only minutes away from our home when to my left I noticed a car speeding out of a side street. I was forced to swerve widely to avoid a certain collision. The driver, who impatiently waited for me to gain enough speed to get back into the lane he'd forced me to leave in the first place, decided it would be wise to ride my bumper for the remaining stretch of road that led to our street. All the while throwing his hands into the air and yelling out profanities of which included lovely hand gestures as well.

"WHO IS THIS IDIOT?!" I remember yelling out loud as I pulled over letting this barbaric man pass me. "Are you CRAZY or something?"

And then - there we were. With eyes locked and teeth clenched emerged low grunting sounds from the drivers seats of both vehicles. Adults... raging war on the other. As he slowly made his way around my car he rolled his window down and yelled boldly, "Are you some kind of idiot!! Watch where you're going!"

Watch where I'M going? I thought to myself. Me? What did I do?

And then it happened. I said it. The two most profound words of defense in the English language. Yep - I said it.... "SHUT UP!"

Wow. That was deep. Intense. I probably really scared the guy with that one!

And it's not what I said in that moment... to that man. It's what came pouring out of my mouth seconds later that was the most powerful. And deadly.

I wish I could say that I prayed for the guy. I wish I could say that I was as calm as could be as I explained to my sweet daughter the many reasons Christ asks us not to behave like that. I wish I'd have been a better representative of Christ. But that was not the case. The words that followed this incident seconds... minutes... and even hours later... were damaging. Oh not to the man who I let ruin our perfectly peaceful afternoon... but to myself. To my daughter. And to anyone within ear-shot of my fit that day. The only good thing I can say about that day's ordeal was that the Holy Spirit must have been working on me. I could have said much worse than "Shut up", which just so happened to be the only two words my brain registered long enough to get out in the heat of the moment! Thank God for that!

How we react to certain situations speaks volumes about the person we really are, doesn't it? And words are more powerful than we give them credit for! We have a choice, daily, to speak life or to speak death to others and even to ourselves!

Do you ever wish you could go back in time and erase some of the words you said to someone else? I sure do!

When I was about 8 years old I remember being at the dinner table with my family. For some reason on this particular night we were in a hurry... all of us were pretty tired and pretty cranky. I remember looking up at my dad and saying to him, "Gosh - you're eating like a pig!" NOT the best thing to say and certainly not my heart. I didn't think he actually RESEMBLED a pig... but it came out as such. I wish I could take that back.

When I was in high school I got mixed up with the wrong crowd for a season. They were bullies and I craved so desperately to belong that I went along with their bullying of a particular girl who was new to our school that year. She had braces and her family was struggling financially and I remember making fun of her. Over 22 years later even though I can't recall the exact words I said that most likely destroyed her confidence, I am sick with guilt when I consider my actions. It wasn't my heart. It wasn't who I wanted to be. I wish I could take that back.

True story, when Trevor and I were just married I was a very jealous person. Oh, I'm not proud of it, but my insecurities were at an all-time high even in the midst of an overwhelmingly blissful wedding celebration. I remember feeling so confident that Trevor had made a mistake by taking me as his bride... I told him so. I was sure that one day he'd wake up and realize he'd married the wrong woman. That I was never going to be good enough for him and that he should not have wasted his time on me. All of my personal struggles with insignificance came flooding in and I made incredibly irresponsible word choices during what should have been the happiest time of our lives! It wasn't my heart. It's not what I wanted to say. I was so in love but so afraid to give myself completely to the man who'd just made a vow to love me 'till death do us part! I wish I could take that back.

But here's the thing. I can't take those things back. Words once spoken are out there. Forever. I can ask for and be granted forgiveness, but those words will always remain.

Ephesians 4:9 says, "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

And in Proverbs 18:21a the bible says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue..."

You see - we have a choice to make every day. We can choose to speak life or death. We can choose to love people by building them up and encouraging them. Or we can speak death and destruction to people by tearing them down and discouraging them.

The bible is pretty clear that we were created to worship the Father. Isaiah 43:7 describes us as, "Whom I created for my glory." We are here for God's glory. Not to make us famous - but to make Him famous. And part of glorifying Him... making Him famous... is choosing and using our words wisely.

James 3:10 puts it this way, "Out of the same mouth comes praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." How can we praise God and curse our neighbor at the same time? We can't. How can we say we honor God and worship Him on Sunday and then come Monday morning we're cursing the driver who pulls out in front of us? We can't.

We can't? We do it all the time. I know I do!

And what about the things we say to others about someone else? Gossiping? What about the things we say about even our own family members to other family members. Like, "Can you believe she did that!" Or, "What was he thinking marrying HER?" These things may be said in private, but they are as equally destructive, don't you think?

I read recently that "Character is doing what is right when no one else is looking."

Ouch!

So is this just actions... or does this means words too?

Proverbs 12:18 says, "The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

We have a choice. To bring healing with our words. To speak life into another life. To uplift. To encourage. To motivate. To bring joy and peace and freedom. Because the words that come from our lips are a mere reflection of our hearts. What is in our hearts... will eventually make it to our lips and out of our mouth. And for some of us - that evokes some fear.

You see - I want to live a life that is most pleasing to the Father.. but in order to do that I must examine my heart so that my motives are in check so that my words will reflect who I am on the inside.

I heard something recently that has stuck with me ever since. Joyce Meyer says this... "You may be saved, but is your mouth saved?"

Wow!

We have to begin to think how God thinks, talk like God talks and act like God acts. And it's not easy to do... but it's a conscious choice we need to make every single day if we want to be more like the Father.

Proverbs 13:3 says, "Careful words make for a careful life; careless talk may ruin everything."

May ruin everything.

Words are pretty powerful!

Romans 12:21 says this, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." So the next time someone pulls out in front of you, you can overcome by choosing to speak life instead of death. Chances are pretty darn good that Christ died for him just as much as He died for you and I! And he may never know the choice you're making to speak life and not death, but God will.

Is our mouth saved? Do we sound saved?

Less of me, Father, more of You!

Finding JOY in the JOurneY,