CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Traditions!

Every family has them - - those silly Christmas traditions that make the holidays so special! We have our own... and I thought I would share some of them with you today.

  • Ever since I was a little girl, we have always driven around on Christmas Eve to look at all the Christmas lights in our city. I remember as a girl - it was magical - the way the city looked all "done up" in rainbow colored lights! My husband and I have carried that tradition into our family as well, however, we added a little twist to it. We look at lights through local neighborhoods with the WINDOWS DOWN. I know, it's typically freezing out - but not when you come fully equipped with blankets, mittens, hats, scarves and hot chocolate in thermos containers! It's still so cool and I get just as excited about this tradition as I did when I was a little girl!
  • I'm not exactly sure how this one got started, but for the past 6 years or so, after the passing of my father-in-law, my husband, my daughter and I stay the night at my mother-in-law's on December 23. We wake up on Christmas Eve and then enjoy a breakfast together before we split up to do last minute shopping, baking etc. It's a lot of fun. We stay up really late and eat and drink hot chocolate. It's a real highlight of my Christmas holiday!
  • Every year I hand write a letter to each member of my immediate family... my husband, my daughter, my mom and my dad, and place them in the Christmas tree. In the letter, I tell them how much they mean to me and for all the things I'm thankful for that year. Even before opening stockings, I have them open the letters and read them. It's just a nice way to reflect on what's truly important!
  • Since my daughter was about 4, we have been making a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas Eve. On Christmas afternoon, after dinner, we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus as a family. What a really neat way to celebrate the true meaning... Christ's birth. I have to say - this one is my daughters favorite! (oh, did I mention, she gets to pick out the cake flavor and frosting?)
  • On Christmas night, sometimes (not every year, so does that count as a tradition?) we go see a movie. It really depends on what's out that particular year. This year it looks like it might be Alvin and the Chipmunks - although I've received mixed reviews.

Those are some of my family traditions. There's more - and every year we add a couple new ones. I'm interested in what other family traditions YOU might have... please share and Merry CHRISTmas!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous

Those sound really cool Wendy. My Mom always gave us new PJ's on Christmas Eve so that is one thing I have always done with my kids then they look really cute for the Christmas pictures in the morning.

Unknown

OK, so the windows-down, lovely freeze-your-tush-off Christmas lights drive at least helps explain your erratic behavior at work...

Faythe Emens

So you're the other ones on the road looking at lights on Christmas Eve! We've done that since we've been married.
Now, the twist with the windows down and hot chocolate is interesting. I don't think we'll be doing that one, however.